Friday, June 1, 2012

Enchanted

Author: Alethea Kontis
Series: Stand Alone (for now)
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance, Fairytale
Publisher: Harcourt Children’s
Released: 8 May 2012
Summary: courtesy of goodreads.com It isn't easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true.
When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One night Sunday kisses her frog goodbye and leaves, not realizing that her love has transformed him back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland—and a man Sunday’s family despises.
The prince returns to his castle, intent on making Sunday fall in love with him as the man he is, not the frog he was. But Sunday is not so easy to woo. How can she feel such a strange, strong attraction for this prince she barely knows? And what twisted secrets lie hidden in his past - and hers?
For Fans Of: Ella Enchanted, Just Ella, and The Princess and the Frog (and anything else totally awesome.)
My Review: Enchanted was, quite honestly the book I’ve been searching for.  Lately my reading life has been a little bit “blah” as in no book sounds remotely good.  Because of this I’ve been a little weary to pick anything new up, and have instead reverted back to oldie but goodie books that I can read over and over again.  Luckily I stumbled upon Enchanted.
Enchanted is fairy-tale at its finest.  Honestly, this would definitely have done any one of those Grimm Brother’s proud.  The story is not only beautiful, lyrical, and incredibly sweet it is one that I could read over and over again.  Sunday’s family is so incredible and amazing, as well as the wonderful supporting cast of Rumbold’s friends (Team Erik and Saturday!)  The story was so well told and wove together such familiar stories making them at once beautiful and new.
Kontis’ world is so…magical…(sigh) I guess that’s really the only word for it.  I know that it’s supposed to be magical, but somehow she has captured that truly timeless and eternal quality of magic that is hard to find in most – if not all – books that are similar to fairytales.  It is truly one of the sweetest and best reads that I have had the joy of coming across and I am so glad that I did!
I honestly did NOT want Enchanted to end.  I could stay in that world all day every day for the rest of my life.  It was so beautiful and at times so mysterious.  I haven’t felt this way about a book in a really really long time.
Enchanted is the book that you’re going to buy all of your friends for their birthdays or just because you’re a really awesome friend who feels that your friends deserve to be awesome too.  Seriously, I just bought five copies of this and have them on stand by for the next birthday party I go to, and/or sudden urge I feel to spread the awesome.  So my advice: go out and get Enchanted(both literally and figuratively)



No comments:

Post a Comment