Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Anna and the French Kiss

Author: Stephanie Perkins
Series: Companion Books with Lola and the Boy Next Door and Isla and the Happily Ever After
Genres: Young Adult, Travel, Contemporary, Romance
Publisher: Dutton Books
Released: 2 December 2010
Summary: courtesy of goodreads.com Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home. As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?
For Fans Of: Flat Out Love, Lola and the Boy Next Door, and Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour
My Review: This book was one of those books that, afterwards, my heart was a little overflowing.  It is completely one hundred percent romantic comedy fairytale.  Set in Paris.  So seriously, fairytale.  After reading this book I thought, “that was incredible, but not how love is at all.”  However, like Jane Eyre, and basically ever other YA book out there, I loved it.  Anna was sweet, Anna was the every girl.  Anna did some stupid things, but she made up for it by being awesome.  If I could have a fictional character come to life and be my friend, I’m pretty sure I would want that friend to be Anna.  She’s really patient, especially when it comes to St. Clair and she tries hard.
However, St. Clair I had a hard time with.  St. Clair does a lot of really stupid things, St. Clair makes a lot of ridiculous mistakes.  St. Clair is why this story can be so deliciously aggravating.   Just know, there are going to be moments when you want to punch St. Clair in the face.
My favorite thing about this book, besides Anna, is: Paris.  Ahhhhh, Paris.  Perkins does such an incredible job of creating the city of lights that I felt like I was back there again.  It made me want to go back there again! You could tell that Perkins definitely had an incredible knowledge of the city and Paris and Anna are what really made this story so great for me.
This book was a really wonderful feel-good, wish you could fall in love amongst the streets of Paris.  I recommend it for this summer, but I recommend Lola and the Boy Next Door (the companion novel) even more!


No comments:

Post a Comment