Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Girl of Fire and Thorns

Author: Rae Carson
Series: Fire and Thorns #1
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Romance.
Publisher: Greenwillow
Released: September 20, 2011
Summary:  courtesy of goodreads.com Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness. Elisa is the chosen one.
But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will. Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess. And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake. Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young. Most of the chosen do.

For Fans of: A Beautiful Dark, Eragon, Rangers Apprentice Series, The Demon King.
My Summary: I have mixed feelings about this book. There were really good parts and other parts that could use some revamping. The first 3/4 of the book moved sooo slow. I don't know if it was because I didn't sit and read it in one sitting rather I read a couple of chapters then had to be somewhere and was constantly being interrupted. I don't know, but it moved quite slowly for me. The last 1/4 was like, boom bada bing it's done! And I was left scratching my head muttering to myself if that was really the end or not. I also thought it strange that when a close character died, Elisa didn't show any emotion after they died. Especially since they were really close. It almost felt like she just shrugged her shoulders and went on with life. I was left wondering if this person will come back later because of the lack of loss/emotion, how fast it happened and that the death was never really mentioned again after it happened. Pretty much I just didn't like the slow moving pace. But it's understandable, setting up for the whole story.
I loved Elisa! She seemed so real and down to earth. I loved her transformation, going from a girl of no confidence, always following and never leading and not the skinny beautiful type to a powerhouse leader who changed not only physically but became a strong heroine. I loved how well developed the world she lives in is. I love fantasy books and my favorite part is entering into a new world/land. Carson is wonderful and describing everything in detail. I got a perfect picture of what she was trying to show us readers. I also thought her story/plot was also very intriguing. Very original I thought. It was a good read and I can't wait for the next in the series. I give this a 3 out a 5 because I liked it but it moved too slow for it to really wow me.

No comments:

Post a Comment