Friday, June 1, 2012

The Last Princess

Author: Galaxy Craze
Series: Stand Alone
Genres: Young Adult, Dystopia, Romance.
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Released: May 1, 2012
Summary: courtesy of goodreads.com A series of natural disasters has decimated the earth. Cut off from the rest of the world, England is a dark place. The sun rarely shines, food is scarce, and groups of criminals roam the woods, searching for prey. The people are growing restless.
When a ruthless revolutionary sets out to overthrow the crown, he makes the royal family his first target. Blood is shed in Buckingham Palace, and only sixteen-year-old Princess Eliza manages to escape.
Determined to kill the man who destroyed her family, Eliza joins the enemy forces in disguise. She has nothing left to live for but revenge, until she meets someone who helps her remember how to hope—and to love—once more. Now she must risk everything to ensure that she not become... The Last Princess.
For Fans Of: The Lost Code, Revived, Renegade, The Forsaken, and Survive.
My Review: I picked up this book because 1. It takes place in England. I love anything English. 2. It was yet another dystopian novel which I’m obsessed with at the moment. 3. It involves a princess. I like the fantasy incorporated in a dystopian society.
The beginning was almost exactly like the story of Princess Anastasia; the Royal family destroyed and one princess escapes. I mean Eliza sneaks out through a secret passage way in Buckingham Palace. Doesn’t Anastasia do that in the movie?
Eliza joins the enemy forces trying to find the man that destroyed her family. The girls in the army are ruthless. I felt so bad for Eliza when they began to bully her. The army and the Death Camps for those still loyal to the Crown reminded me a lot of World War II because of one man trying to rise to power (Hitler) and the Death Camps (Holocaust) to kill the royal prisoners.
However the one crucial thing missing was the romance. The ‘romance’ was brief and feeble. I was more under the impression that the book was about Eliza defeating all odds and coming out triumphant; getting rid of those who wish harm to the Crown. That is what I thought was the main plot of the story. It really didn’t need romance, but it is mentioned and when romance is mentioned you have to follow through with it. I just wasn’t convinced with the little love blossom.
The Last Princess was a very quick moving story. It doesn’t leave time for you to breathe. It’s one scene to the next and by the time I knew it, I had finished the book.
I will warn those setting out to read it; I don’t get queasy easily, but this book had me cringing at some parts. Galaxy Craze (awesome name) is very detailed in her writing, so beware.
I thoroughly enjoyed this read and I like how it ended summing everything up but leaving a chance for perhaps a sequel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment